Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: I’ve no insecurities doing a film where I age
Ever since Aishwarya Rai Bachchan made a comeback, she has been giving us a variety of roles that we’ve never seen before. Be it the career driven single mother’s role in Jazbaa or a bereaved sister’s role in Sarbjit or now the seductive divorcee in Ae Dil hai Mushkil. One thing that’s difficult to digest is how she has managed to diversify so much since her comeback. However, it’s not the variety of roles that has left us fascinated but the fact that in her upcoming Karan Johar film, she is actually playing her real age. Now isn’t that slightly shocking? Actresses usually prefer looking and playing younger roles for image reasons. But Ash thinks otherwise. In fact, she is one such actor who is not insecure to play her age or even older than that!


In a recent interview with a leading film magazine, the 41 year old actress said, “As a creative person or even as a woman with experience in life that’s the way I’m going to address my craft. I’ve never played a character like Saba. In a year, I’ve shared three distinctly different pieces of work…. The intense career woman-mother in Jazba, the deep Dalbir Kaur in Sarbjit. I’ve no insecurities doing a film where I age, where visually I look nothing from what you’d expect – considering there’s a constant visual dissection for someone like me! I choose to do the least expected. I’m glad it has turned out being different, in a Karan Johar narrative. The female response has been amazing. Like a journalist said when age is not discussed in the male dynamic, why is it being discussed so much in the female dynamic? I’m glad that the film is raising questions.”